[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

E34 M5 Wheel Follow-up

My apologies to all Digest readers concerning this ridiculous thread.  I
privately Emailed Rodd Sidney to elaborate on my concerns, but apparently he
thought I was posting everything to the Digest and then decided he needed to
attempt to severely flame and insult me.  Honor and credibility require a
response.

For the record, I offer the following:

1)  The definition of "innate" is "existing in or belonging to an individual
from birth."  I make no claims regarding possessing "innate" knowledge of
anything, let alone a M5.  Perhaps he meant "inane" which means "lacking any
significance."?  I don't know, but I thought it was significant that used
wheels were being offered for sale by a commerical enterprise at a price which
was possibly higher than what the wheels could be purchased for new.

2)  As I stated in an earlier post, I would review the price book and fiche
and report my findings.  As Rodd notes in his post, the prices are indeed in
the price book.  However, these part numbers do not appear in the current
versions of either the US or European parts microfiche for the E34 M5.  My
best guess is that when the E34 M5 first came out, it was possible to buy
right and left side turbine covered M5 wheels which were preassembled (but
note he still has never said which covers were on the wheels).  The microfiche
does not show the turbine covered wheel as being available as a complete
assembly.  It may have been at one time, but it isn't now.  Therefore, I still
believe that it was correct to point out to the members of the Digest that the
suggested list price of all the parts necessary to comprise the used turbine
style wheel being offered for sale was substantially less than suggested list
of the wheel being offered for sale.  After all, you end up with the same
wheel  I do concede, however, that if you have to have the factory assembled
wheel (which is no longer offered and was subject to a BMW factory recall
campaign No. 90V-204) with the part numbers referred to by Rodd stamped on it,
then it did have a higher suggested list price.  So my most humble apologies
to Rodd - you're right, the M5 wheels you offered for sale were a terrific
bargain and I hope you can sell loads of them at your asking price!

3)  I don't recall every making any claim stating that I am the "World's E34
M5 expert, so what's this all about?

4)  I am, within the confines of my skills, a do-it-yourselfer.  I always try
to find the best price on parts - which was what concerned me about the Rodd's
ad in the first place.  I don't even remember the last time I paid list price
for a part.  All I do is make sure I know what list price is SUPPOSED to be,
so I don't end up overpaying for parts.
I thought I had a little useful information to share with the Digest about
what M5 wheels can be bought for, new or used, since I have personal
experience in both the buying and selling of these particular wheels, so I
shared it.

I won't even bother to address the pathetic innuendo regarding my
intelligence, work ethic, etc. made by Rodd.

4)