[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

re: <E34 M5> wheel TIATP (tempest in a teapot)

>From: Rodd Sidney <bmwrodd@domain.elided>

>... what wheels are what, fall on deaf ears, as I have the wheels and the
>wheels ARE Stamped with the BMW part# which when I recieved the wheels...
>went to the current price book, looked up the #'s.Again they were for
>clarification 36-11-9-059-222/223 & 36-11-9-061-674/675 for Right & Left
>Direction. The BMW Price book which we sell for $24 5/96 Edition says $1126
>& $926.Nuff Said.

  Now I'm confused. If the wheels are "stamped" with the part # for R&L,
how can that be?  M5 modular wheels are all the same right/left, the only
part differentiation R/L is the wheel fan.  My price book calls these p#s a
"kit" so they must include wheel bolts, fans, etc, and perhaps even two
wheels per "kit".  Which ones are they?  In BMW parlance the "white wall"
fan wheel is M System I, or Styling 20.  The "twisted star" or "Vegomatic"
fan design is M System II or Styling 21.

  Since we're into full disclosure, the 222/3 wheel "kit" has a dealer cost
of $676.01 and the 674/5 $556.05. BMW no longer refers to the two different
wheels as forged vs. cast.  They now say "forged" and "painted" and I
believe they are both forged.  The "casted" wheel is listed as superceded
and discontinued.  The "forged" rim by itself has retail/cost of $405/$262.
The "painted" is actually more, $524/$314.  The discontinued "casted"
wheel is $491/$294.  As "fastest M5" stated the later fans are $115/$75
each.  So, if you took the forged wheel and added the new style fan, your
cost, including the special hub bolts ($.92/.55x5) and center cap ($32/21),
would be only $555 each at BMW *list*.  It's always possible Rod overpaid
and is passing the savings on to you.  It's more likely that the "kit"
refers to two wheels, complete, as BMW used to package the E30 "is"
cross-spoke wheels in colors that way.  This would allow for using two sets
for different widths F/R.  How will we ever know?

  BTW, the private responses I'm getting as well as what I've pulled off
the digest are running, roughly 10:1 against gratuitous commercial
postings, with the majority agreeing with Richard's allowance of brief
monthly, not-so-blatant reminders that the advertisers are out there.  Most
respondants would love to have the knowledgeable professionals respond to
questions with a discreet commercial tag line minus the hype.  In essence,
the digest members are asking commercial advertisers to use their heads,
not their other body cavities.  I think the Golden Rule applies here, as
everywhere.  Right children?  I'll tabulate the responses once they die
down.

- -Phil Marx  BMWCCA #6021