[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

<misc> BOLT REMOVED!!!

My hunt for the elusive bolt (which, if you haven't been following this
thread, dropped down an oil return hole in the head of my 325e) is
complete.  8^))

I bought a magnet on a pen thingy and tried to use it from the top with
no success, then scanned the bottom of the pan with the magnet, also
with no success. Then, after a night to sleep on it, woke up and thought
it might just be lying on the top "shelf" of the oil pan (the rear part
just above the steering rack). Using the magnet on that part of the pan
confirmed the location of the bolt. Still using the magnet, I worked the
bolt to the edge of the shelf, where it dropped to the lower part of the
pan. From there, it was moved close to the drain plug, and I could see
it. Simply poking the magnet through the drain hole and snagging it was
all that was needed.

I'm glad I slept on it, rather that just pulling the pan. I've still got
a few things to bolt back under the car, but at least I didn't have to
remove the pan.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. I can't count how many private
replies I got, but again thanks everyone.

Evan
'87 325