[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Help - E28 Alloy Wheels

You may skip directly to the questions below if you don't care how I ended up with 2 cracked rims:

  This past Sat. I went to the local Mobil Station to mount snow tires (Hakka 10s) on my car.
  The first three tires went on just fine. They cracked the center hub of the fourth rim.
  I asked them to mount the fourth tire on the spare rim and they cracked the hub on that one also.

  They somehow mounted the fourth tire on one of the cracked rim and said they will replace the
  cracked rims with used rims from a junk yard. The rims are original BMW factory BBS 6.5/14 inch
  (like the Honey Comb style) and they are having trouble locating used rims of the same design.

  I think I will end up buying a used set from the roundel with the garage paying half the price. I was
  looking thru the want ads in the Roundel and found a few people selling 3 and 5 series rims.

QUESTIONS:

   Can I use 14 or 15 inch 3 series rims on my 82 528e?

   Can I use 15 inch rims from a late model 5 series car (eg: 92 525i)?

   My original rims were 6.5 wide, can I use rims that are wider than 6.5 inches?

   What about rims that are only 6 inches wide - can I use those as well?

   Used OEM rims are going for about $400 dollars in the Roundel, should I spend some more
   money and get new after-market rims?

Thanks in advance.

ckarnati@domain.elided (Charles A. Karnati)