[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Alarms & Installing Them

>>Note there was no starter/fuel system kill connection.  This is the case w/
pre '94 models...The starter wire is underneath the steering column. On my car
it is black
w/ a yellow stripe (14-16 gauge)...You will need to cut this and run it through
a relay connected to the starter kill on your alarm.

While THERE IS NO starter kill wire on the factory alarm plug, the BMW alarm
DOES HAVE A STARTER KILL activation.  It activates the starter kill by DOUBLE
locking the car.  When my car did not have an alarm, I DOUBLE locked myself in
(windows down, of course) and tried to start the car.  Guess what?  I couldn't.
The starter kill is built-in with the DOUBLE locking feature.

I decided to go with the Viper Ultra 800 alarm series.  Mostly because it was
feature packed.  I have 15, count 'em, FIFTEEN channels to work with.  That
means that I can raise/lower windows, open/close my sunroof, start/kill the
engine, pop the trunk, etc. And still have some channels left over.  What I
didn't like was that although it locks the door when arming, it doesn't DOUBLE
lock them.  All this means is that I have to tap into the black and yellow
stripe wire under the steering column.  What I do like is that it locks the
doors when I start the car!  I also have the option of having automatic on/off
headlights and wipers.  The transmitter is also considerably smaller than the
BMW unit.

So would I do it again?  YES!  The BMW is very easy to defeat since every
knowledgeable thief would know exactly where the unit and wires would be and
would be able to EASILY access those wires.  Whereas if you dictated the
location and placement of the wires, it would make things more difficult.

Armand