[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: E30 Windshield Gasket Lock Strip

Earl (Braze??) from AOL asks..

>From: EBRAZE@domain.elided
>Date: Sun, 15 Jan 1995 15:39:29 -0500
>Subject: E30 Windshield Gasket Lock Strip
>
>I have a set of lock strips for the windshield gaskets but I am hesitant to
>tackle the job. The old strips seem to fit pretty tight and I'm wondering how
>difficult it's going to be to install the new ones.
>
>I understand that BMW dealers and windshield shops have a special tool to aid
>in the installation. Does anyone know what this tool looks like? My thought
>was to lace fishing line into the gasket and then draw it out while pushing
>the lock strip in. Anybody have words of advice?
>
>Thanks in advance,
>Earl

I'm assuming you're talking about the plastic chrome strips used as
locks and decoration on your E30 - much as they are on my E28.

I replaced mine about a year or so ago - all by myself without much
in the way of special tools. Then when a vagrant 7 year old center
punched my windshield - I got to watch a professional remove and
reinstall it.

The tools and techniques turned out to be very simular (someplace
someone made a FAQ from my message about this - and it may also
reside on an WWW/HTML server someplace..), but basically you need:

1. Liquid dish soap (steal from wife)
2. DULL old screwdriver (with no sharp corners remaining)
3. Thin metal thingie (I used an old chemical spatula I had) with
   smooth edges and rounded end - handle is really nice.
4. Lots of patience
5. HOT water
6. Tooth brush
7. Garden hose connected to water supply.

Remove old - use thin thingie to get it started. DON'T REMOVE
ANY METAL CHROME PIECES - they do not have to be removed and
are a PITA to get back in (ask me.. just ask me..).

Clean groove it came out of VERY well - use soap/water/toothbrush/hose.

Soak new piece in the hot water. This makes it flexible, allowing it
to bend and go around corners and neat stuff like that.

Soap up the now clean groove.

Press in. You may need the thin thingie and the blunt screwdriver
to open the groove lips ahead of where you're working. Try not
to tear the rubber gasket (soap helps a lot here).

SMILE. (Send thank you EMail to dje@domain.elided).

It took me about 3 hours to do the front and back windows on
BOHICA - I went a LOT faster once I realized the strip must
be pliable (hot) to get in place.

Best of luck!

=======================================
Don Eilenberger (dje@domain.elided)
  '79 R65 FrankenCycle - der Beemer
  '87 535i BOHICA      - der Bimmer
  '75 25' Hunter       - das Boot
DOD#1177, BMW-CCA#104316, BMW-MOA#64000
President - New Jersey Shore BMW Riders
NJ-DOD-Cycles,  Fossil Riders of NJ Inc.
        "A glutten for clubs.."