[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Cibie Lights

OO> I have the Cibie headlight system on my 535is.  What are the maximum
OO> wattage bulbs that can be safely used for both low and high beam?
OO> This application is strictly for offroad use of course.  I'm

Hi Steve - I've had Cibie's on my '87 325is, recently put in Hella's for
the high/lows, kept the Cibie high beams. I have been using PIAA
150/100 watt H4 bulbs for the high/lows, and Hella 100 watt H1 bulbs for
the high beams, so far no problems with the stock wiring.

I have J.C. Whitney headlamp covers, which look exactly like the
BMP/Racing Dynamics covers, but are a much thicker lexan plastic. The
heat has put a small warp at the top of the lens covers on the high/low
beams, but that is minor. The high beam lens covers have been fine. For
anyone considering the J.C. Whitney covers, they must be pressed
carefully onto the headlamp trim rings, or they might crack in the
process - consider buying two sets so you have spares. I cracked one on
installation, another cracked later on.

The Hella 100 watt H3 foglight bulbs will last maybe a year if you're
lucky in a typical BMW foglight - there's no place for the heat to go,
eventually the base of the bulb cracks (typically, my experience). I
have some ideas for a H3 heat sink, but haven't tried to make them yet.
PIAA has 130 and 150 watt H3 bulbs, but the 150 watt bulbs are rated w/
an extremely short lifespan. Without a heat sink or something, the 130
watt bulbs can't be expected to last long either.

Marshall Garrison (marshall.garrison@domain.elided)
 * RM 1.3  * Eval Day 12 * RoboMail -- Version 1.3 -- Available now!