[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

BAS Water Pumps

> From: sphan@domain.elided (Stanley Phan)
> Subject: 02 Water pump life span? Buy OEM?
>
> And now for a new water pump.
> Bimmer Parts wants about $82 (april 93 pricing)
> but BAS has an OEM (I'm assuming) for $40
>
> I would say a big price difference.  Any reasons why I shouldn't buy
> the Bavarian Auto Service one?  I'll be ordering one up 2nd day air
> pretty soon, so if someone could point out some do's and don'ts/and
> or experiences on brands of water pumps, I'd be interested in
> hearing them.

My Bavarian Auto Service water pump story - around Sept '94.

'85 535i - bad water pump.  Called BAS.  Ended up around $60.  Pump
arrives in mail.  Gasket is torn in two.  Bronze bushing is very tight,
hard to turn.  Machine work is lousy.  But it was made in Germany, just
like they said!  Anyway, I call BAS to get a new gasket, explicitly
saying 535i.

In the meantime, I go to the dealer, who has OEM water pump for around
$60.  Would have actually been cheaper than BAS if I had been an ACA
member at the time... but that was when I found out about the ACA.
Anyway, pump is very nice looking, has superb machine work and free
running bearings.  Installed OEM waterpump.

About a week later, 528e gasket arrives in mail, looking nothing like a
535i gasket.  Went to dealer, got gasket.  Now I have a spare water pump
to carry on long trips.

Personal Moral:  I use BAS for minor parts, like wheel badges, switches,
and the like.  For mission critical and urgent stuff I prefer not to buy
parts sight unseen, and will stick with the dealer.

Richard.
'85 535i 170k