[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: a bunch of 2002 topics

> From: sphan@domain.elided (Stanley Phan)
> Date: Sat, 14 Jan 1995 19:49:29 -0800 (PST)
> Subject: Re: 32/36 Weber/SMOG pump in CA, 02
>
> I also would like to point out that not having a SMOG pump for the
> '74 is definitely illegal.  I believe the technician made a MISTAKE
> by overlooking it in the smog requirements (typically the stuff
> is EGR, smog pump, etc...listed right on the computer screen of
> the smog machine).

The '74 should not require a smog pump.  '68-mid'72 had the pump,
it was dropped for mid'72-'74, and came back with a vengeance for
'75-'76.  I'm not sure if there are special California requirements
for the '74, though.

> From: idickers@domain.elided (Ian Dickerson)
> Date: Sun, 15 Jan 1995 01:16:12 -0500 (EST)
> Subject: M2002 teething pains
>
> I have spark (checked at the plug wire), the injectors are getting
> a signal (determined with a tester at the electric delivery rail), the coil gets
> 12V, and if I shoot starter fluid (ether) I can get the engine to run as long
> as I keep shooting ether in the intake manifold.  Also, gas is being
> delivered to the fuel rail.

I'd first try and listen to hear if the injectors are clicking when
the motor is cranked.  If not, then I'd suspect either a lack of signal
or stuck injectors.  Has the Motronic harness been grounded properly?
The fact that you're getting spark suggests that the Motronic is functioning
and the sensors are OK.  You may also want to check the main relay, they
sometimes go bad.

Otherwise, try checking fuel pressure.  Although if there is a stream of
fuel reaching the injector rail, there should be enough pressure to
get the motor to run.

> From: caught by the wave <pcc5892@domain.elided>
> Date: Sun, 15 Jan 1995 01:31:44 -0500 (EST)
> Subject: Repairing 2002
>
> First and foremost, the car has a cracked windshield. I would like to
> know how much it would cost to get it replaced and where around the
> bay area.

A new windshield from BMW lists for $200.  Estimates I got from various
glass companies were for ~$200 for the glass and installation, using
aftermarket glass.  Can't help you with Bay area particulars, though.
Also, unless the old rubber seal is in good shape, you will probably need
a new one.  ~$60.  As well as the trim strip.  ~$15.

> From: sphan@domain.elided (Stanley Phan)
> Date: Sun, 15 Jan 1995 00:12:53 -0800 (PST)
> Subject: Bosch Mech. Advance Distrib., Confused!
>
> I'm a little confused concerning 2 Bosch 2002 Tii Mechanical
> Advance Distributors.  It appears that there are 2 models that
> BMW places sell.  Here's what I found.
>
> Bosch #ID48X				#0 231 188 002
>
> 	Noble				Noble
> 	Bavarian Auto Service		Ultimate Source (old catalog)
> 	Bavarian Rennsport		MSport Enterprises

I don't think they are legal in CA for use on anything other than
a '72-'73 2002tii.  Basically, they are the same distributor.
The ID48X is the rebuilt-exchange unit, while the 002 is a brand new
unit.  The 002 is commonly advertised as the mechanical advance high
performance distributor.  They're pretty common in the Roundel.

> From: sphan@domain.elided (Stanley Phan)
> Date: Sat, 14 Jan 1995 23:06:08 -0800 (PST)
> Subject: 02 Water pump life span? Buy OEM?
>
> I was curious as to how many miles have the 2002 owner's got out of
> their water pumps?  I read the Jan. Roundel (02 ramblings) and
> the guy got about 37K out of 2 of his water pumps, but 120K on the
> third.  Oh...how this article came sooo timely since my water pump
> just crapped out!!!

I have about 70K on my present pump.  And it's starting to drip when
it gets really cold out.  I can probably squeeze out another year,
so that would total about 90K miles, I guess.

> Then comes mine. Only 20K miles!!!
> WEll, I half to admit this is most likely because of a Metric
> Mechanic cool down pulley. My advice...watch out!!!  I ran
> the pulley for about 15K of those miles until I upgraded to the 320i
> radiator.  And i don't **think** the belt was overtightened.
> I also use the larger, 400mm fan, so that might add a bit
> more stresss on the pump.  Does it really pay to have an electric
> fan?

If you have a good radiator, a regular 2002 pulley and the 360mm
fan should be perfectly adequate.  I replaced the original 400mm fan
on my '74tii with a 360mm to reduce noise.  No overheating problems.
The electric fan helps reduce noise and wear on the water pump, but
I find the best improvement is that the engine is happier to rev
up to redline.

> I would say a big price difference.  Any reasons why I shouldn't buy
> the Bavarian Auto Service one?  I'll be ordering one up 2nd day air
> pretty soon, so if someone could point out some do's and don'ts/and
> or experiences on brands of water pumps, I'd be interested in
> hearing them.

If it's a German made pump, I'd think that it'd be ok.  From past
experience, I'd avoid the Italian made pumps.  I've used non-BMW
but German made pumps, and they've lasted just as long as original
BMW pumps.

Sorry about the length and combined topics of this message.  I thought
it'd take up less bandwith, as well as being easier for me, to take care
of all of it at once.

Ben