[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

02 Water pump life span? Buy OEM?

I was curious as to how many miles have the 2002 owner's got out of
their water pumps?  I read the Jan. Roundel (02 ramblings) and
the guy got about 37K out of 2 of his water pumps, but 120K on the
third.  Oh...how this article came sooo timely since my water pump
just crapped out!!!

Then I called La Jolla Indepented (bmw service garage) that works
on quite a few 2002's, and they say lifespan is about 60K.

Then comes mine. Only 20K miles!!!
WEll, I half to admit this is most likely because of a Metric
Mechanic cool down pulley. My advice...watch out!!!  I ran
the pulley for about 15K of those miles until I upgraded to the 320i
radiator.  And i don't **think** the belt was overtightened.
I also use the larger, 400mm fan, so that might add a bit
more stresss on the pump.  Does it really pay to have an electric
fan?

And now for a new water pump.
Bimmer Parts wants about $82 (april 93 pricing)
but BAS has an OEM (I'm assuming) for $40

I would say a big price difference.  Any reasons why I shouldn't buy
the Bavarian Auto Service one?  I'll be ordering one up 2nd day air
pretty soon, so if someone could point out some do's and don'ts/and
or experiences on brands of water pumps, I'd be interested in
hearing them.

Thanks

- -Stanley Phan
'72 2002