[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

H20 and the "power everything" motor

Someone posted about a problem w/ the tires throwing water onto the belt of
the hydraulic unit and causing a loss of power steering and brakes at low
speeds on 5 series cars.  I've been suspicious that this was going on in my
car (E36 318is) for some time.  Last night I confirmed it.  I usually
notice it in parking lots while turning in the rain.  Any thoughts on
whether this is a "they all do that" thing for E36 cars too, or do I have a
loose belt or some thing?

Also, I posted the below problem a while back and never heard anything
back.  I'm going to give it one more try incase there is someone out there
who has some knowledge of the problem, but did not have time to respond.
The BMW mechanic said it was a common problem on the previous 1.8L 4
cylinder, but had not seen it on the new one.

>I keep having this problem when starting my '93 318is where, just as you
>would expect the engine to turnover, it makes a coughing-backfire like
>noise and blows a hose off the engine.  After this the car will not run.
>The first 2 times it did it, I had to have it towed in.  Only after
>probing and asking to speak to the mechanic did I learn that all I needed
>to do was push a hose back on (I don't know what hose it is.)
>
>I can't believe they did not offer to show me this up front since it could
>leave me stranded somewhere...anyway, the mechanic told me the hose was
>designed to blow off to prevent damage to the air intake system from a
>backfire.  He suggested that I may be pushing on the gas pedal while
>starting which can cause it.  Then he just stood there looking at my car
>silent/thinking, making "hummm.." noises, this kinda bothered me but I
>just said "well, Ok," and left.  That was not the problem, and it has done
>it 2 more times.  I only use super unleaded from name brand stations....
>The car is totally stock w/ respect to the engine and related parts (for
>now.)
>
>One other point that may be important.  The first time this happened, the
>large hose that goes from the "breather box" to the engine had a large
>crack in it.  It seems to have sucked some of the hood-liner insulation
>material into the engine since there is a hole above this hose now.  This
>kinda worries me since it is past the air filter and this point seems to
>be what had the mechanic "scratching his head."  Is this relevant?  Should
>I be concerned about it regardless?

Jimmy Shrake
Current: '93 318is
Previous: '85 325e (KIA @ 150k)