[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Gas Tank Problem?

In message dated: 11 Jan 1995 10:00:07 GMT
"Peter Grant" <Peter_Grant@domain.elided> writes:
 >Mail*Link(r) SMTP               Gas Tank Problem?
 >
 >                        Gas Tank Problem?
 >
 >I have a '72tii with a rather strange problem. My car idles very
 >consistantly at 1,000rpm EXCEPT right after I have filled the gas tank. If
 >I fill the tank to full, the idle drops to almost stall speed (200 to 300
 >rpm). This will persist for a while until the level of the tank has
 >dropped. Performance is not affected in any other way.
 >
 >My work around for this is to never quite fill the tank, which is fine but
 >certainly limits the car's "cruising range". The vent tube from the filler
 >neck is hooked up to vacuum at the intake manifold and the tank operates
 >under vacuum, since when I try to take the gas cap off to put gas in I
 >have to relieve quite a bit of vacuum before I can get the cap off. I have
 >tried taking the gas cap off when the tank is half full to see if the
 >relief of the vacuum has anything to do with this...it doesn't. Any ideas
 >would be most appeciated.

I have never heard of so much vacuum in a 2002 gas tank (or other gas
tanks for that matter).  It may be that your pump has trouble pulling
against the vacuum.  The vent line from the gas tank should hook up to
the air cleaner and not to the intake manifold.  The purpose is to vent
the gas vapor back through the intake.  This may be the cause of your
problem.

Hank Farber

'72 tii
'73 tii (parts only, alas)