[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Help! Seized Engine!

I'm one of the many victims of the flooding in Northern California, but I'm
paying a higher price (at least automotively) than most.  My tale of woe...

Monday night I drove my '88 325is into about 10 inches of water (halfway up
the stock wheels).  The car died, and would not turn over.  After getting
the car into a garage, I ran every electrical test I could think of,
concluded I had a bad starter, and replaced it.  No change.

At this point, I tried to move the engine by turning the crankshaft pulley.
The crank was frozen dead solid.

I can't imagine why a dunking would do this.  The car had not been running
more than 2 minutes, and had been started from dead cold.  There is no
external damage visible to the car or the engine.

My plan is to first strip the front of the engine to see if a timing belt
tensioner or other part has broken and jammed into the crank sprocket.
Beyond that, I've no idea.

Does anybody have any theories, advice, or just tender sympathy?  Please
respond via e-mail to dezan@domain.elided.

- ---
pld