[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Weber 32/36 and SMOG Tests!

eumirc@domain.elided  asked about smogging a 2002 with a Weber carb.

I just smogged my 2002 several months ago in California ( toughest
state for emissions) so here's what I know.  From the Weber spec
sheet provided with the carb. from Greenfield Imports, it says the
32/36 is a direct replacement for the solex carb.  The way I interpret
this, is that it is ok, in regards to smog tests to replace the carb.
And since you can mount the STOCK air cleaner housing to this carb,
the Smog Technician would NOT know about your weber, unless
YOU TOLD the tech. so.  My car passed the emissions part with no
problem.  There was no need for any exemptions.  And as a side note,
it IS ILLEGAL to use something like on open air K&N air cleaner in
CALIFORNIA. Also, this would most likely make the Weber carb. more
obvious to the eye.

Around here, we have pass or don't pay smog tests, so it didn't hurt to
try.

Hope this helps.

- -Stanley Phan
'72 2002