[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: bmw-digest V2 #208

>From: Gp.Grewal@domain.elided (GP Grewal)
>Date: Mon, 9 Jan 95 17:37:03 PST
>Subject: Re: Renting a Car in Europe.
>
> Stuff deleted
>
>Actually you don't even have to get off the Autobahn to experience
>these narrow roads. In Germany you will run into construction zones,
>where they route all the trafic onto one side of the Autobahn.
>Typically its four lanes that are marked "2.2 meters wide"(this is
>roughly 73" and a 325i is 67" wide). This can go on for 10s of miles,
>specially in the eastern part of the country.
>
>They do impose a 80kmph(50mph) speed limit in these zones and most
>people drive between 70kmph(~45mph) and 90kmph(~55mph).  It can be
>pretty scary passing large trucks in these lanes, specially when you
>have head on traffic only inches away.

You're not kidding, trying passing a truck in the rain, it use to scare
me shit-less. I use to face this regularly as I commuted between Brussels
and Stuttgart on a weekly basis for 1.5 years. Was I glad when this ended,
the only compensation was that in an M3 you can grit your teeth and get
by faster.

PS. Best time I ever covered the distance (560km) was 3 hours and 15 minutes.

I friend of mine use to lease a MB 190E for DM1000/month a few years back.

- --
Luan Doan-Minh                  Rational Software Corp.
luand@domain.elided              3323 W.21st Ave, Vancouver, BC, V6S 1G8
ldoanm@domain.elided        Tel: (604) 730 9846