[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

renting cars overseas

All this talk of renting cars in Europe has sparked me to write about my
recent experience renting a car in Morocco. To rent a car there through
a name rental agency (eg Hertz) costs a bundle. We rented a Renault 4  for
one week for roughly $400 inclusive. Now to those not familiar with the
Renault line this car is a very primitive object but also very practical
for driving in the rural areas. The car had a manual choke and the gear shift
was on a stick that came out perpindicular to the dash. The car is extremely
practical as it is easy to fix and has high clearance. The scariest part of
driving in Morocco was those 1 and a 1/2 lane wide roads that are quite
common in rural areas. Each time you meet an approaching car there is a game
of chicken to see who will drop there outside wheels on to the unpaved
shoulder. Only saw a few BMWs there. One though was a 7 series with
CALIFORNIA plates. Saw a lot of diesel Merecedes.

Dave Manderscheid
glad to back in the drivers seat of a 91 318is