[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: E36 Alarm

>Can a siren be easily (ie.cheaply) hooked up the existing alarm?

My 1994 325is came with the alarm hooked up to the car's horn too. After
exploring the factory alarm option a little further, it turned out that a
small siren horn should have been INCLUDED with the alarm system.  It was the
dealer that wired the system to car's horn instead.  The dealer said that for
the 325's, they typically opt to just connect it to the car's horn...."it
makes for a much cleaner installation"....implying that it's difficult to
find a nice spot under the hood for extra siren. He then offered to "make it
fit somewhere" if that's what I want.  And that's what I wanted. The whole
thing took a few hours and I was on my way...no charge.

Let me add that I got this alarm problem staightened out during my first
MONTH of ownership....seeing that you bought your car a few years ago, it may
be a little more difficult to claim what should be rightfully yours.  Good
luck if you try. ------- one other note: the siren that comes with the
factory alarm is rather wimpy sounding itself, and since they have to cram it
down behind the fan it sounds not much louder than a cricket.  Perhaps the
dealer made the right call in the first place!

Happy motoring

Tom
Northeastern USA