[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Opinions wanted on 1981 528i

>Anyway, I don't now own a BMW, have always wanted a 5 series, have
>always resisted the urge, but now am faltering.  I have the opportunity
>to purchase a 1981 528i in excellent condition, with all maintainence
>records, and 155K on the odometer for about $3K.  I like the older
>models, and this one appears to be in fine shape.  My questions are
>basically these:
>
>        1) Is this a fair price for the vehicle.  My NADA price guide
>           goes back only to 1987, listing the average retail of a
>           528e at $7775.  Price sounds right for an '81.
>
>        2) Being inherently ignorant of the BMW marque, is there an
>           overriding reason not to buy a 528 or a 1981 model?  Are
>           the next generation vehicles that much better?

When I bought my 535 a couple of years ago, I was actually looking for a
528i until a 535 dropped out of nowhere for an unbelievable price!  Anyway,
I learned a lot about the 528i from an excellent "Used Car Classic" article
in Road & Track.  I think it was the April '91 issue.  I still really like
the 528i, mainly because it has lots more of the Teutonic styling touches
that BMW seems to be getting away from these days (although the new cars
look cool as hell...)

There are several differences between the newer e28 5 series cars and the
older (e21?).  I can't remember everything but heres a couple biggies:

The good:
        - e28 body/chassis is stiffer, I think a bit lighter
        - Interior design is different, more modern (not better IMHO)
        - Rear suspension on e28 got the "Track Link" which helps tame the
tail               happiness some (I guess)  Also changes to the geometry.
        - Front suspension on e28 has the "double pivot" design from the 7
series.  This is supposed to reduce front end dive during hard breaking.
        - Improved rust protection around trouble areas
        - Some (post '85) cars have ABS
        - e28 has Motronic fuel injection which is more sophisticated
(probably better)
        - the e28 "i" cars are much faster

The bad:
        - e28 is stuck with the TRX rims/tires (yuk!)
        - e28 has more electronic gizzmos that can (and do) fail!
        - the cheapest e28 I've seen lately goes for around $5k
        -

There's probably lots more stuff that others could add to this list.  If it
was me, on a budget, I'd jump on the 528 if it was clean and the
mechanicals checked out. $3k sounds about right.

YMMV

later,

MD

*  Mike Daun <daun@domain.elided>