[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: 735i steering problem

Atul, a 735i owner asks..

>Dear fellow bimmer netters,
>
>I would greatly appreciate any comments on the follwing problems i am having
>with my 735i :
>
>1)  In rainy season, while driving at low speeds (below 15 mph), when I turn
>my car thru' a pool of water - suddenly the steering wheels rattles
>heavily and becomes very stiff to turn and then after my hard attempt to
>control it - it gets normal again.  My mechanic says it is a usual behavior
>of these cars and there is nothing to worry about !!
>
>Is that true ?

It's a "FEATURE!!" - Actually - exactly the same thing happens with the
535i series. It's due to the placement of the power everything pump..
right down near the road on the left side of the engine. Go through a
big enough puddle - and the belt gets wet enough to slip - causing a
momentary loss of power steering and brakes (EXCITING FEATURE!). Luckily
this only happens at very low speeds - higher speeds seem to spin the
water off the pully.  As far as how to fix it - got me! I've replaced
the belt, tightened it to specs - and it still does it. I thought about
a splash shield over the pully - but am undecided on this, since it could
also capture water and make the problem worse. As your mechanic sez "they
all do that" - and there is nothing to worry about as long as you don't
want to turn or stop while it's slipping.

>2) At about 40-50 mph  the steering wheel vibrates - the degree/intensity of
>vibration depends on the condition of the road.  Could it be because the
>wheels needs balancing or has any part gone bad ?

Yes and yes. Try wheel balance first - then start looking at all the nice
expensive suspension components..

Don Eilenberger (dje@domain.elided
 '79 R65 FrankenCycle     - der Beemer
 '87 535i BOHICA          - der Bimmer
 '75 Hunter 25 WindBreaker  - das Boot
DOD#1177, BMW-CCA#104316, BMW-MOA#64000
NJS-BMW-R#0001 (I'm a glutton for clubs)
  "Only difference between a man and
   a boy is the price of the toys!"
    Located in lovely New Jesey!