[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: Barry Sanders asks LOTS of questions

>From: bsanders@domain.elided (Barry C. Sanders)
>Date: Tue, 3 Jan 95 00:33:42 CST
>Subject: 325e Parts Help Needed
>
>Hello,

SNIP - in which Barry goes into parts price shock..

>Here's a list of parts that I'll probably be repairing in the near
>future (hopefully not much more than this  :-)  If you would be so kind
>as to provide me with phone numbers and names of mail-order houses where
>I might procure either new or good used parts such as these, I'd be very
>grateful!

You'll have to shop Roundel yourself for most of them...

>- -"Inspection" indicator (I've heard it is the Ni-Cad's that go bad.)

There are several FAQ'a on fixing this yourself with $5 of Radio Shack
nicads.. so someone please send him it.

>- -Oxygen Sensor ($135 from the dealer - OUCH!)  RPM modulates on cold idle.

If a three wire - go directly to your Ford dealer and ask for the sensor for
an '87 Mustang V8. Box should have DY606 on it somewhere. Learn to solder
and splice some wires. Save $100. Pass go. Send $50 to me!

>- -Distributor shroud (had the wrong one on it -almost ruined the fan!)
>- -Fan clutch (sometimes overheats on prolonged idle)

May not be fan clutch - can be plugged radiator. What makes you think
the fan clutch?? Play?? Loose when hot?? Hoping it's not radiator??

>- -Catalytic convertor (VERY stinky.)

VERY Expensive. Live with the stink. Will probably go away when the car
is tuned correctly.

>- -Plugs (Has Split-Fires.  I want the standard plugs.)

THROW THEM OUT! Get the real Bosch Silver plugs. They were made for this
engine - and the engine was made for these plugs.

>- -Key-Fob mini-bulb (Crucial to my Zen-like involvement with my car  :-)

Bulb or battery? Battery is a camera battery - and good photo shop has it
for about $3-4. Bulb - see dealer. Clutch ass! Open wallet.

>- -Blue seats for a 4-dr (any kind, must be in excellent to new condition)
> (Leather ones preferred, BTW.  I've found a set of tan ones for $500/set)

See Roundel classified ads..

>- -5-spd Trans. (for reference)
>- -Rear-suspension/drive train components (3rd party or stock - for reference)

I don't answer ANY reference stuff - Roundel will have ALL you ever need
to know about where to buy this stuff.

>- -Console-mounted audio cassette boxes (mine are trashed)

Huh?? Must be a 3'er sorta thingie.

>- -High-performance/low priced custom exhaust systems.

There are none. The best performance is the STOCK system. Other ones are
louder..
but no better PROVEN performance. The boys in Germany pretty much have thought
this one out.

>- -Windshields or windshield scratch-n-pit repair chemicals/kits.

Find truck. Follow closely until it tosses up a stone - dinging your windshield.
Have your comprehensive insurance replace windshield. In absence of this - I
have
never found anything that will remove 130k mile windshield sandblasting - I just
figure on a new windshield every 100k miles (sorta like tires.. it's SO much
better
once you do this!).

>Any workarounds for above repairs would be welcomed.  Looking forward
>to my involvement with this great list.
>
>Thanks for the bandwidth,
>
>Barry Sanders
>Multimedia Consultant/Scientific Animator
>Nat'l Center for Supercomputing Applications
>Champaign-Urbana, IL

Barry - seein' as where you're working (NCSA) - perhaps some kind
souls will pass on the addresses of the various WWW/HTML links..
which have LOTS of the info you need on them. I would - but I just
blew away my AIR-Mosaic installation here to setup a new release.

The WWW sites have most everything you'll ever want to know about
the 3 series - and the CCA... happying hyperlinking!

Don Eilenberger (dje@domain.elided
 '79 R65 FrankenCycle     - der Beemer
 '87 535i BOHICA          - der Bimmer
 '75 Hunter 25 WindBreaker  - das Boot
DOD#1177, BMW-CCA#104316, BMW-MOA#64000
NJS-BMW-R#0001 (I'm a glutton for clubs)
  "Only difference between a man and
   a boy is the price of the toys!"
    Located in lovely New Jesey!