[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: bmw-digest V2 #164

325ix comments:

I had a 91, 2 door. last year they made it. I believe the first year
was 87. In 91 you couldn't get them with sport seats or on-board
computers. I replaced the seats with Recaros (there's another story!).
This car replaced my 87 325i. I found the ix to be slightly slower than
the 87, with slower, heavier steering. Car lacked the "tossibility" of
the 87. However in the rain, you could put your foot in it and totally
not worry. The awd system uses the viscous coupling approach: as the
rear wheel begins to slip, power is gradually transferred to the front,
with a maximum of 35% front, 65% rear. Ironically the winter I bought
it we had no snow, although I cruised up to the mountains to try it
out. Had zero problems in snow on hills, backing up, whatever. That was
with the stock tires (P600s), which are _terrible_ in show. In 91 the
cars came with LSD rear, which also helps. I believe this might have
been an option in other years.

If I had another I'd try to lower it a couple of inches--they perch up
high like a Ford truck. I'd also want to get some oomph out of the
engine. A turbo ix could be an awesome combo, especially in the wet!

Cheers,

John Browne
95 M3
94 Volvo 850 (SO's car)