[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

325e Parts Help Needed

Hello,

Having recently acquired my first BMW - an '85 325e 4dr 5spd w/130k on it -
I'm in need of some help in getting into tip-top shape.  I'm planning to
join the BMWCCA as soon as I can (maybe tomorrow).  I bought a Haynes repair
manual; and it seems to be very, very helpful. (Very good investment - $12)
However, some of the parts prices I've seen so far on this group are just
plain *SCARY*!  Did I read correctly?: $700 for a *muffler*?  You could
almost get somebody to custom-bend an all-stainless-steel pipeset for you,
and then fit the muffler of your choice to it, for that much money!!
(BTW:  I assume that since stock parts are so expensive, it is common
practice to go ahead and buy high-performance custom exhaust systems
instead.  Is this a valid assumption?  I'll be needing to do that in
another year or so...  :-(

Here's a list of parts that I'll probably be repairing in the near
future (hopefully not much more than this  :-)  If you would be so kind
as to provide me with phone numbers and names of mail-order houses where
I might procure either new or good used parts such as these, I'd be very
grateful!

- -"Inspection" indicator (I've heard it is the Ni-Cad's that go bad.)
- -Oxygen Sensor ($135 from the dealer - OUCH!)  RPM modulates on cold idle.
- -Distributor shroud (had the wrong one on it -almost ruined the fan!)
- -Fan clutch (sometimes overheats on prolonged idle)
- -Catalytic convertor (VERY stinky.)
- -Plugs (Has Split-Fires.  I want the standard plugs.)
- -Key-Fob mini-bulb (Crucial to my Zen-like involvement with my car  :-)
- -Blue seats for a 4-dr (any kind, must be in excellent to new condition)
 (Leather ones preferred, BTW.  I've found a set of tan ones for $500/set)
- -5-spd Trans. (for reference)
- -Rear-suspension/drive train components (3rd party or stock - for reference)
- -Console-mounted audio cassette boxes (mine are trashed)
- -High-performance/low priced custom exhaust systems.
- -Windshields or windshield scratch-n-pit repair chemicals/kits.

Any workarounds for above repairs would be welcomed.  Looking forward
to my involvement with this great list.

Thanks for the bandwidth,

Barry Sanders
Multimedia Consultant/Scientific Animator
Nat'l Center for Supercomputing Applications
Champaign-Urbana, IL