[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Transmission whine

NYC '75 2002

The car has about 120K miles. The transmission may have been
rebuilt/transplanted from who knows where. There is a consistent whine from
the transmission around 3600 rpm, no matter what gear I'm in. I use Redline
oil. The noise only happens when I've got the transmission engaged and the
car moving, so I don't think it's  from a leaky vacuum line or anything
like that. The noise has been with me for quite a while and my concern all
of a sudden is that there might be some catastrophic bearing failure at 60
mph.
Anyone know what causes this and does this foreshadow transmission doom?

spwongra@domain.elided