[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

re: 320i

          Kirk Buecher asks:

          > 1. What exactly was included in the "S" package for '81/'83 320
          >models?

          The "S" package included: Recaro seats in vinyl or cloth (All "S"
          interiors were black), front "air dam", fog lights, limited slip
          rear (same ratio as standard), BBS "Basket-weave" alloys, rear
          anti-roll bar, larger tool kit, like the six cylinder cars of the
          era had, a thicker-rimmed, leather covered steering wheel. Also a
          sunroof. Oh, the "320 i" badging was deleted from the trunk lid,
          and they were only available in Black, white silver & red.

          > Is there a way to determine whether or not the equipment was
          >truly on the car when built or added by the owner to create
          >something  like a factory "S" package?

          Suppose so, it's all "bolt on", except the sun roof, which they all
          (except mine) came with anyway, but there's no special code in the
          VIN, if that's what you mean. Mechanically, except for the diff &
          rear bar, it's the same car.

          >What is the value of the components that make up the "S" package
          >in dollars?

          I think it was about a $2500 option when I bought my '81, if my
          fading memory serves.

          >How much more would you expect the "S" package to add to the
          >average cost of a used '81-'83 320?

          IMO, not a whole heckuva lot, the side bolsters of the Recaro seats
          really wear, so the interior may not look as good as a comparable
          non-S.

          >2. I've had several people warn me off of '79/'80 320's because of
          >problems with thermal reactor emission control system and it's
          >tendency to crack heads. I'm now looking for more detail on this
          >factoid; how big of a problem was this?

          Don't mention cracked heads to a 3.0 owner! ;-) Actually, the
          Thermal Reactors are THROUGH 1979, on the 2.0 litre engines, the
          1980 & later models had a 1.8 with a conventional exhaust manifold
          with a single wire oxygen sensor. From what I understand, the 2.0
          heads don't crack anywhere close to what the 3.0 heads did. I think
          (fuzzy memory again) the problem on the 2.0 was more of the
          reactors themselves cracking, and from what I've heard they can be
          hard to come by & expen$ive when you do. They're usually replaced
          by steel tube headers, which may/may not be a consideration where
          you live & your state's present/pending inspection program.

          >Did this happen to 1 in 10 cars or more like 1 in 100?

          Like I said, I think this was a much bigger problem on reactor-

          equipped 3.0 sixes.

          >Other than finding oil or water in places it shouldn't be, how ca
          >I find out if the cat I'm looking at has a problem with this?

          Seems like you're on the right track here, also check for white
          smoke in the exhaust after it is COMPLETELY to operating temp. Also
          check the reactor itself for signs of cracking, also the usual
          compression tests.

          Then again, you could get a 318i & put a limited slip in that &
          some good tires on those 14" wheels, just a thought. ;-)

          Then, you can also get a nice 6er!

          No matter what car you decide, the most cost-effective thing you
          can purchase is a BMW CCA membership!

          Hope this has been some help. Have fun!

          Colin          WA1KWA

          bracec@domain.elided