[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

[none]

On Wed, 28 Dec 1994 Vince Sbarra wrote:
Subject: Clicking

>Can anyone shed some light on this situation?  I have an '88 528e with
>about 97K miles.  The valves sound like they are beginning to make a
>clicking noise.  I've talked breifly with some other 528e owners, and
>they all appear to be having similar problems.  Has anyone experienced
>this before?

>If so, please indicate the solution that you implemented.

>Thanks,

>Vince Sbarra

>vinces@domain.elided
>1988 528e (sorry I'll get the VIN for my next question!)

 Vince:

  I'm relatively new to the ETA engine since I bought my 325es this
past June, but I'll add my $,02 on what I've learned so far.

  Recently I did the 60k mile service on mine, and after I was done, I
noticed a rather loud clicking that I didn't hear before. What I found
was that the injectors were making the noise, not the valves. I thought
I messed up the valve adjustment, so I took a long screw driver and put
the blade on the valve cover and "listened" to the handle side. (Screw
drivers make great stethoscopes!). As I moved the screw driver across
the valve cover, all I heard was a low pitched whirring sound, and no
clicking. Next I put the screw driver on each injector and sure enough,
there was my noise. A couple of the injectors were making more noise
than the others. I remembered hearing that the injectors were noisy on
the baby six motors, but just to be sure, I called my friend Rick
Stormer who is a BMW Technician and a BMW CCA TIPS rep. He said "Get
over it, they all do it." So, I forgot about it, and the car runs fine.
(BTW, I didn't hear the clicking  before I serviced it because the
timing belt tensioner was making a lot of noise. I replaced it as part
of the 60k mile service).

  So, check out your injectors. If they're noisy, "Get over it". Any
other net wisdom on this is welcomed! IE: Do they get louder and louder
as time goes on and eventually fail ??

Ron Checca
'90 M3 Street
'88 M3 Track