[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: 320i info

> 1. What exactly was included in the "S" package for '81/'83 320
> models? Is there any way to determine whether or not the

Well, pulling out the '81 320i sales brochure, it lists the following
as extras included in the "S" package:

sports suspension which includes:
   larger front sway bar (23.5mm vs. 22mm, I believe)
   added rear sway bar (regular '78-'83 320i's didn't come with one)
limited slip differential
BBS-style alloy wheels, 5.5X13
Recaro sport seats
leather covered sports steering wheel (same diameter as stock, though)
leather covered shift knob
manual sunroof
fog lights
deluxe style toolkit (same as found in the 5-series models)
standard AM/FM/cassette 4 speaker stereo
front air dam
the picture shows an additional passenger side mirror, but there is
   no caption to it -- all S package cars I've seen had the mirror
also, the rear 320i model script was deleted on "S" package cars

> equipment was truly on the car when built or added by the owner
> to create something like a factory "S" package? What is the value
> of the components that make up the "S" package in dollars? How
> much more would you expect the "S" package add to the average
> cost of a used '81-'83 320?

I highly doubt that someone would have tried to exactly duplicate
the S package equipment on a car not originally equipped.  Better
and cheaper pieces are available through the aftermarket.  So if
you see a 320i without the numbers on the back, with the special
seats and steering wheel, BBS style wheels, air dam, and rear
sway bar, chances are it's a real S package car.

Originally, it was a $2500 option, I think, and the individual
pieces, used, would probably add up to around 1200 or so today.
An S package car may add about $500 or so to the price, but
I'd worry a lot more about the condition of the car itself.

> 2. I've had several people warn me off of '79/'80 320's because
> of problems with the thermal reactor emission control system
> and it's tendency to crack heads. I'm now looking for more
> detail on this factoid; how big of problem was this? Did this
> happen to 1 in 10 cars or more like 1 in 100? Other than finding
> oil or water in places it shouldn't be, how can I find out if the car
> I'm looking at has a problem with this?

The thermal reactor only came on California version '77-'79 2 liter
320i's.  49 state cars had a regular air injection manifold.  '80-'83
cars had a completely revamped emissions control system with Lambda
closed loop mixture control, and a catalytic converter.

The thermal reactor does tend to crack heads, as well as acclerate
valve and valve guide wear.  Although this is a much more common
occurence on the 6-cylinder cars than the 4's.  Look for excessive
steam when cold, water in oil, etc.

Hope this helps,
Ben