[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Automotive Import Recycling

I'm beginning to consider buying or building a very nice '74 to '76 2002 or
'74 tii to use as a daily driver, and I was wondering if anyone has heard
of or had experience with Automotive Import Recycling (or maybe called AIR,
Inc.) in New Jersey.

A few years ago these guys advertised in the Roundel, but I haven't heard
from them in the last year.  They used to advertised "remanufactured" (as
opposed to no cost spared restored) 2002s for around $8k in ~1984.  The
cars had rebuilt engines, transmissions, differentials, suspensions and
brakes.  The interior was redone and the cars were painted.  In November,
1982 (I think) Harmon Fischer wrote a relatively positive article in the
Roundel.  At the time they claimed to have restored 300 cars and had a one
year warranty.

On the negative side I also remember hearing at the time that they were a
little too aggressive in what they would rebuild--eg they sold someone a
car whose frame had been straightened without informing the purchaser.  I
also remember hearing that this sort of practice had ended, but all of this
is just a vague recollection.  In any case I would probably want to provide
them with the car to rebuild rather than have them choose it.

I'd appreciate anyone's experiences or thoughts.  Also, any suggestions for
reputable places to have a car completely rebuilt would be
appreciated--especially those with which you have direct experience with
and/or are relatively close to Washington, DC.

Happy Holidays,
Ware
'72 2002tii