[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Central Locking System went beserkers!

Folks - it happened like this.

My son and I were out putting bows on the tree to celebrate
the holiday, so I saw BOHICA sitting there looking neglected,
so I put a bow on her.  Thinking that FrankenCycle would feel
upset if I didn't bow him - I stuck one on the dash recess
of BOHICA to place on F/C later.

Well - my son and I went for some last minute shopping,
and when we returned to the car - the key in the lock did
not result in the usual ZERRPPP noise of the locks opening.

This is usually the sign of the battery going flat - but
when I got in, the car cranked and started fine - but the
locks still failed to respond.  I left the drivers lock
button down, and we started for home. About a mile down the
road, the lock buttons started dancing up and down all by
themselves (ZERRPPP! ZERRPPP! ZERRPPP!) - but failed to
respond to human intervention (my son thinks the car is
haunted).

So... I get home sorta depressed - and sit looking at the
Bentley manual, deciding what to do. In the meantime, it
appears that I was supposed to put up the XMas tree - so
by the time I went out to play with it, a few hours had
passed.

I went to the car - to open it so I could look for the
central locking module (above speaker on passenger's
side in the footwell according to Bentley), and when I
put the key in the lock - ZERRPP!

It all seems to be working fine again - and I know that
others on the list have had mysterious forces invade their
central locking - and just as mysteriously leave.

I think it was jealousy! BOHICA got better once I took
the red bow from the dash recess and put it on F/C!

Go figure!

Have a healthy and happy New Year!

Don Eilenberger (dje@domain.elided)
  '79 R65 FrankenCycle - der Beemer