[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

318ia locked up and went bye bye

Ok a moment of silence for my Brother in Law's 318ia (130k?) that is probably
totalled.  I have a few questions for the professional drivers on the net that
about the accident.  The car had an automatic transmission and I tried to
get as much info out of the driver as possible and this is what happened...
He was going around a turn on the freeway at about 60 when someone cut him off.
He is not sure what happened next but thought he might have flinched and
accidentally hit the shift lever, which has the top broken so will shift any
place, but is not sure.  Anyway the car locked up(I guessed he slammed on the
brakes) and he lost control and slid into the center divider rear end first
spun and then slammed the divider again headon.  So the car is pretty thrashed
but we are waiting for the insurance report to hear what is up.  Anyone have a
guess as to the reason the car might have slipped into the wall rear end first?
Is this one of those twitchy rear end things?  I tend to think he wasn't really
aware of the performance ability or the limits of the chassis and discovered
rear end twitch and rear wheel drive tend to make things a little dangerous.
Does anyone know what could happen if the transmission had accidentally moved
from D to N or R?  Is there an ignition kill doodad in the 84 so that this
cannot happen?  Any replies would be appreciated I would hate to have him
blame a really nice machine and be able to explain what had happened.
This may end up being a parts car, so I will post again if this is the case.
He bought it from a kid who didnt take care of it at all, so it wasn't in great
shape, few knobs missing etc, but the mechanics looked good.

Asim
325ic
(91k 5sp)
90 impulse (40k auto)