[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

325iX

Dave Stoker <dastoker@domain.elided> wanting to know about the 325iX
My apologies to those who've read my paen before. This has truly
become a FAQ (please add it), but I realize that it is new to each
person who asks the Q:

The 325iX basically performs like a regular E30 325. There is 4-wheel
drive, but it is rear biased, (2:1, I believe) so the handling is more
or less similar.
The differences are nice though:
1. You can corner better (i.e., later & with less body lean).
2. You will handle better in all conditions, but especially rain & snow.
3. You can get away with all-seasons in a great many conditions. (I
have been running all-seasons for 4 years in Toronto, including not
bothering to shovel my garage entrance, and just plowing thru 6 inches.)

Negatives?
1. It's obviously more expensive.
2. It may be a bit slower in straight-line acceleration.
3. Its turning circle is a bit wider.
4. You have to be a bit careful in shopping for wheels because the
offset is different than the regular E30. A few other parts are
different. (see below)
5. There's a possible problem with the way the front driveshaft goes
thru part of the engine assembly (bottom of crankcase?), but I have
never heard of anybody actually having this problem.

For a list of different parts & other 325iX lore, you should join the
325iX registry, run by Gordon Haines, Aurora, Colorado. ($5/year in US
for newsletter; give him $7 from Canada & $10 from abroad to cover postage.)
I don't have Gordon's number available right now, but if the FAQ
maintainer contacts me, I will send it to him.
- --
Barry Wellman           wellman@domain.elided          1990 325iX