[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

More on Ice TIME TRIALS

 Subject:   More on Ice TIME TRIALS     Date:   12/20/94    Time:   8:24 AM
As the registrar for the Boston Chapter Ice
Time Trial events, I thought I'd add my $0.02
and clear up a couple of things.

 - The event is quite safe if you have respect for where you are.
      This is a TIME TRIAL, not a race. Think of it as an Auto-X
      where the pavement is REALLY slippery. Yes, people have dented doors
      and lost air dams sliding into icy snow banks. For the past
      few years, however, we have worked to make the event a
      little saner by tightening up the course which, in turn, reduces
      speeds and lessens the chance of vehicular injury. We still get
      a yahoo or two, but we discourage this behavior because
      the longer it takes us to unstick a car from the snow, the
      less time we have for everybody else to complete their
      runs. In short, it's safe, fun, and a great learning experience.
      THIS EVENT IS DESIGNED SO THAT YOU CAN GET THE MOST EXPERIENCE
      IN YOUR EVERYDAY CAR. The M3 on Hakkas last year did amazingly well
      and showed no ill effects after its foray on ice......

- - This is actually the 20-somethingth year that the Boston Chapter has
     organized this madness (I hope that the Jordan's can get their '02 out
     of impound so that the car can complete its 14th season). We even have
     real corporate sponsorship now.

- - The third event is the Parker Spooner Memorial. Parker was an early, founding
      member of the BMW(nospace)CCA and is remembered on the lake for
      driving his Bavaria, pipe cleched between his teeth, and for providing
      the huddled masses with pea soup. Proceeds from this event are donated to
      the Lahey Clinic in Burlington, MA, where Parker underwent cancer
treatment.

Four events in total are planned. The dates that Matt posted are the target
dates. Alternate dates are a week after each planned date. The Boston Chapter
Hotline will be the final word on whether a particular date is a go.

Gotta go get the new snows put on my Quattro for the season.... (yes, the '02
is STILL up on
           jack stands). See you all on the ice.

- -Noam

  Noam Levine              Internet:  noam.levine@domain.elided
  DSP Applications
  Analog Devices                         voice: 617.461.3474
  1 Technology Way, P.O. Box 9106          fax: 617.461.3010
  Norwood, MA   02062-9106