[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: Mail Order questions...

Hi Dan.

I'll have a stab at this one.

I've been ordering mail order for awhile now, and I'm quite happy doing it
that way.  I save a lot of money, and with the amount I drive, I order parts
quite often (once/month, sometimes more).

I'm mostly dealing with Hendrick Imports now, because frankly, I know I'm
getting the right part; I rarely have to ask twice, and their prices, even
being a dealership, *blows* away the competition just about every time!!

I used to get my tune-up parts form Noble, but no more.  They simply can't
touch Hendrick.  (They admitted it to me - I hope Henry isn't reading here
8^)).  And this is true for clutch, suspension, fuel parts, etc. I even
bought my gas tank from them because they were within $5 of the absolute
lowest price I had found (maximillian).  Hendrick is *so* large,
throughout the country (mostly South, I believe), that they have the
inventory *most* of the time.  And as my car gets older and some parts are
harder to find, they know the car *real* well and always come through.

But, of course, if I'm looking for modified parts, that's when Noble and
Maximillian are great.  Noble is real good with grey-market parts, so they
aren't competing with the likes of Hendrick, and they do well.  Unless
you find a niche, I believe you better offer a *major* discount because
for a few dollars difference, it might not be worth it.

And remember, there are differences between BMW, OEM, and aftermarket
parts, and this *does* matter to some folks.  When you say OEM, I worry
I'm going to receive Balo brake rotors that haven't been spin-balanced
(or have those clip-on weights).  Just my opinion...

As far as the wait is concerned, it *always* depends on the situation.
For planned repairs and general maintenance, I certainly wouldn't mind the
wait - I doubt many folks would.  I sometimes sit on parts for weeks until
I get the chance to install them.  However, if I am stuck, and I need the
part right away, I can get a 15% discount off list from a local
dealership.  So, my buying patterns would remain unchanged.

I hope this was of some use to you.

Best of luck, and will you have special BMW list rates? 8^)
 .steve.

p.s. and yes, I would get a separate Internet account the *moment* you
decide to do this, out of respect for HP, IMHO.
Steven J. Bernstein                       Home: bernstein@domain.elided
P.O. Box 11242                            Work:    bernstein@domain.elided
Hauppauge, NY 11788 USA      __________   Home:     (1) 718 740 7411