[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

320i

I have an '81 320i with 200k km (uhh.. 120k miles).

Things that have needed replacing in the last year and 1/2:

Lots of little rubber parts
- -body mounts (just in front of the rear wheel on the side of
the car)
- -sway bar bushings
- -engine mount
- -lower suspension arm (has rubber thing built in, must replace
the whole thing)

a few other things..
- -clutch
- -brakes (rotors+pads) (but that was mostly for a driving school)
- -wiper motor + linkage (but it still doesn't work right #$^@)
- -cold start extra air slider valve thing (just needed adjusting)
- -spark plug wires (how embarrassing.. stop light race with a stupid
little Sprint and suddenly I'm only on 3 cylinders :(

There is also a little play in my front wheel bearings but
my BMW mechanic said it was ok, cause with a bit of hard driving
when everything heats up a little bit of play is a good thing.

One thing to watch out for is tires/wheels.
The front fender lip is not designed to take big rubber..
I have 205/60's on 13x6 mags and I don't think you can go wider
without massaging something (?)
And 205/60/13's are not the most common tires around.

I don't know what you can do with 14 inch wheels..

But as far as bimmers are concerned, it seems that the 320i is
the cheapest as far as parts are concerned. And way fun to blast
around in.

chris