[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Ice Time Trials *safety*

>   Matt BenDaniel writes,

>   "Q - Are there risks to my car?"

>   Actually, there are.  Over here in upstate NY, we have two very active
>   ice-racing clubs.  For years there had been no serious accidents, however

Allison mentions that if one goes sideways in snow-covered ice one can
build up enough snow that the car will roll.

Aside from that senario (which is sometimes seen on tracks with mud/sand/etc.)
the plow trails themselvs can be come packed or iced and will cause the
same re-action (similar to hitting a curb sideways at an autoX), another
senario is that the ice will not be a smooth surface, but on occasion will
break up and re-freeze, this often creates seams in the ice, which run
across the course, and that usually feels like speed bumps, and affects
handling likewise. [Though I can't recall seeing that that often,
Lake Onata in Pittsfield was pretty rude that way last year.]

There was also the tale of a four banger, with timing belt, burying itself
in a snowbank, slipping the belt and, well, molten carberators and discharging
fire bottles soon followed.  I forget who did it, but I remember the 'slag'
metal remains.. some years ago now.  [Yes, there is a reason for timing
belt covers.]

Mind you, all said and done, it is lots of fun, and how often do you get
to go use those unstudded Nokia Hakkapeliittas in their element, and
not have to worry about all those idiots with three-season tyres hitting you ?

    Cheers,
	--bill	caloccia@domain.elided	caloccia@domain.elided

      1  3     dl OD  L           "Land Rover's first, becuase
      |--|--+  o  |   |            Land Rovers last."
      2  4  R     N   H           '72 Range Rover