[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Need advice on '85 M5

}I'm currently looking at an '85 M5.  It was grey market and supposedly
}has the appropriate papers.  I'm looking for some information on the
}'85 M5s.

No such thing.  The only year the M5 came out in the E28 body was in 88.

}Two things bother me about the car:
}   1) Not as powerful as I expected...I thought that in '85 it had 275hp
}   2) Its an automatic...I thought the M5s were manuals

The M5 only came ONLY with a manual transmission and leather recaro-like
seats.  If I remember right the M5 has something other than an mpg guage
below the tach.

Look at the engine.  It's supposed to say M-Power on top.  Any room in
the engine compartment behind the passenger side headlight big enough for
a good sized battery?  It's probably a 528e.  The air filter housing
for a 528e is on the driver side.  The air filter for the 535 is on
the passenger side.  Single or dual exhaust?  If it's single, it's a 528e.

Another thing to differentiate a real M5 with a bogus M5.
The 88 M5 came ONLY in black with black trim...no chrome door or
window trim anywhere to be seen.

aaron