[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Power Chips, Exhausts and the 'Flow Tech'

Hello,
  There has been alot of talk about these items on the list, so I thought I
would offer up some information.

Let me talk about the Flow Tech system first.  Flow Tech is an
Autothority developed kit for 325i and other cars.  They are working on
applications for other cars too.  The Flow Tech is a K&N Oil soaked
Filter, and Bracket, that replaces the BMW Factory air Filter.  At engine
speeds over 3000, the new filter really comes into play, creating a nice
rushing noise from the engine, and improving air flow.  Better air flow
leads to more power at higher rpms, anywhere from a 5 HP to 20 HP
increase!  The increase depends on the car, and engine application.
Call Autothority for more details, their number is at the end of this
message...

On chips.  I have Autothority chips on all my BMWs, and they do make
a difference.  Instead of changing full throttle maps, they modify the
entire map in a chip, which results in improved throttle response
throughout the rpm range.  HP gains are small (don't let chip
manufacturers fool you!  NO ONE can get more than about a 10% gain.
And that is on the high side)  Also, a car using a high performance chip
MUST be run with super unleaded fuel.  Don't take this with a grain of
salt!  Use ONLY super, or something in the engine will break.  If this is
a problem, a chip is not for you.  Pretty much all BMWs sold in the US
right now recommend super anyway.  So, as easy upgrades go, a chip
(at least for me) has been a good idea.  In case you wonder about the
validity of Autothority's claims, I have worked on my own cars with them
, and watched the chip development process.  There is alot involved,
and they really do change quite a bit.  (By the way, I do not work FOR
them...)

On exhausts... I have a Racing Dynamics exhaust on my 318is, which
makes a nice rumbling sound, looks cool, and seem to improve torque
on the low end.  By how much, I am not sure yet.  Exhausts can be a
good way to improve overall performance, but I think the combination of
chip, Flow Tech and exhaust could be the best.  Autothority is
developing a Flow Tech system for my car as we speak.  When it is
done, I will post here to let you know my experiences first hand.

Mike Whitley
send email responses to mwhitley @domain.elided

Autothority Performance Engineering
(703)323-0919