[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Gear shifting problems

I have looked through the FAQ read the Bentley manual. Since I have not seen anything like this described on this group, I thought I would ask directly.

I am having a problem shifting into 2nd gear, especially when the car is cold.  It feels like the shifter is having trouble getting into the correct "notch", and when it does, it only seems to have a tenuous hold (although it hasn't slipped out yet).  Also, even when the clutch is depressed completely, it will sometimes grind or doesn't mesh.  After the car warms up, most of the symptoms go away.

Normally, I would think I need a new clutch, but none of these symptoms exist in any other gear besides 2nd.  I'm not too car smart (yet), so please excuse me if this is a simple question.

Note: I'm driving an '84 318i with about 150k miles on it.

Thank you,
CJ