[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Speedometer Interchange

>I have a '86 325e (US version) and would like to find out if the
>speedometer is interchangable with one from a '87 (or later years) ?

The instrument cluster (including spedo) should be interchangable
with any 'e.  If you want to swap with a cluster from an 'i or M3, I
believe you can still exchange them, but you will probably need a
new chip (there is a plug in the back with a PROM(?) that programs
the instrument cluster for the details of the car, and the 'e has a
different Motronic version than the others).  The chips cost about
$60.

> How
>involve (time wise) is the job ?

If you are changing the whole instrument cluster, easy (< 1hr).  If
you are swapping spedo's between instrument clusters, I have no idea.

rick
'87 325es
'90 325iX