[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: PTFE in 'coolant'

Garrett-
>While I also believe that PTFE is useless and possibly harmful, I'm
>curious as to how an additive put in the oil will clog up cooling
>channels...
      ^^^^^^^^^^^
I'm afraid I erred in my original post and referred to oil channels as
'cooling channels'.  I was, of course, referring to the channels in the block
that transport *oil*, not coolant.  I apologize for any confusion.  See the
attached excerpt from an excellent artice in 'Road Rider' Magazine on the
subject of oil additives (I believe the full article is included in the FAQ)
to understand how PTFE can block *oil* channels.

"The problem with putting PTFE in your oil, as explained to us by
several industry experts, is that PTFE is a solid. The additive makers
claim this solid "coats" the moving parts in an engine (though that is
far from being scientifically proven). .... However, such solids seem even
more inclined to coat non-moving parts, like oil passages and filters. "

The article goes on, at some length, and includes results from tests run by
NASA, the University of Utah, and Briggs and Stratton, all showing that oil
passages were blocked, and harm to the engine done, by the introduction of
PTFE.