[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: emissions on a 2002

Well, I'm finally back where I can see my own mail.  Unfortunately,
I got subscribed to digest, but oh well.  No prob.

I need to respond to this:

Excerpts from mail: 5-Dec-94 bmw-digest V2 #113 owner-bmw-digest@balltow (6360)

> p.s. With emmisions stuff acoming (see the latest article in the December
> Roundel),
> it's time to starting thinking about FI - it's the only way to successfully get
> around strict emmisions tests...

The original poster cannot be attributed easily.

Anyway, you do any of that in California, you're in deep crap.  Yeah, sure,
FI is cleaner and all.  But CA doesn't give a darned about that.  My thermal
reactor on my '77 320i (still not fixed....no oil pressure) is doing a) extreme
noise pollution and b) extreme emissions [but not out the tailpipe!].  As you
all know, one cannot get a new thermal reactor and 2) one can get an
exemption since one cannot get a new thermal reactor.  I have the
exemption.  Doesn't mean I can replace the part with a 49-state
manifold - OH NO!  Can't do that!  It wouldn't be original!

I know the original post is from Texas...but in CA...as long as your
car is POST '65, you've got smog equipment.  (Even a PCV hose
counts and you'll FAIL w/o it).  Pre '65, anything goes.  It's not the
emisssions that count here.  It is the visual inspection.  They have
pictures of what your car should look like at the smog stations and
even if it is SO CLEAN it doesn't register....if the equipment is not
right, then no go.  (Me, not spewing noise/emissions because the
car has no oil pressure....want to be clean after I fix the car.  But
the state doesn't care.)

Older cars *should* be exempt from the newest regulations in
any state.  They *should* be held to the emissions at time of
manufacture.  Even in CA...with smog regulations like most states
wouldn't believe for the past 20 years, allows for the date of
manufacture to determine allowable levels.

(California has no "urban/rural" areas ;-)  Even my town, 50 miles
from nowhere still must do oxygenated [crap-gas...as so eloquently
stated by another list member] gas.  Our "smog levels" as reported
in the paper have never been above 40 ppm...never seen smog
here, actually, in over a year.  Consistently the cleanest air in the
county...despite the EPA putting all sorts of restrictions on those
"polluting rocket launches"  ;-)  (That topic is for sci.space!)

Good to be back.  Sorry I went so far on this smog garbage.
(Shall we say "PCDG" [Pollution Control Device Gestapo]).

Nathan D. Lane, Second Foundation. Lompoc, CA
NaN != 6, 6 == 1.  I am not a number, I am a free list!
I'm a programmer - my computers are more valuable than my cars.