[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: those damn headrests

Richard,
  So, you've finally noticed probably the most useless thing BMW has ever
made. Power headrests. Alas, I was bitten with the same non-functinal devices
on my 85 528e. Here's the scoop. Inside the seat is an electric motor. The
output shaft of the motor is connected to a kind of spinning cable (i.e., cable
spins inside its casing). The opposite end of the cable is connected to a
gear system. When the cable spins, it turns a set of gears that raise/lower
the headrests. NOW HERE'S THE FUNNY PART. When BMW designed this marvel of
engeneering accomplishment, they made the cable TOO SHORT to reach the gears
when the headrest was fully raised. So, you raise the headrest to its highest
position and the cable comes out of the gear mech. Even worse, you can't
re-attatch it in any meaningful, permanent way. My solution: 1.remove the back
of the seat (two screws at the bottom of the back covering near the hinges).
2. Manually *JAM* the cable back into the gearing that moves the headrest.
3. Press the buttons to set the headrest where you'd like to remain. Assymble
the seat. 4. Curse the person who designed the thing and forget about it.

Best wishes,
Dwayne Paschall
paschall@domain.elided

(now with manual seats)