[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

BMW news from England

Two BMW related bits from English car magazines:

On a disturbing note, from "Car" in December's issue:
"BMW has set aside several million pounds to deal with premature corrosion
in some 3-series models.  Cars made before autumn '92 are thought to be
suffering from low-quality steel and inadequate corrosion protection."

At least they are budgeting for the warranty claims.  I don't know what
models in particular, but those that fall under the stated time period may
want to keep an eye out.  Don't worry, I'm sure it won't be as bad a 2002's
rust.

On a _much_ happier note, from the January issue of "Thoroughbred and
Classic Cars"
  "BMW could be remanufacturing bodyshells from its 02 range as early as
next year.  The decision depends upon the success of the company's new
Heritage-style organisation, Mobile Tradition.  [Heritage remanufactures
MGB bodies from the original tooling]
  Fronting the new initiative from BMW's headquarters in Munich is Dirk
Alberts, who brought "Classic Cars" up to date on its progress.
  'We are still building up the spare parts business,' he explained, 'which
we hope to have fully operational either at the end of this year or early
next year.  This will include opening a new warehouse and setting up a
European distribution network.'
  The step-by-step approach is cautious but determined, with positive plans
to begin remanufacturing original parts such as wings, boots and bonnets
next year.  BMW's principal focus will be on the 02 range, which it
considers to be the first of its models to reach classic status; the 02 is
also the most popular model among the German BMW clubs.  'For the moment we
are concentrating on cars that ceased production no fewer than 15 years
ago,' says Alberts.
  Asked about the possibility of remanufacturing bodyshells for the 02
series, Alberts said:  'We are taking things step-by-step and have no
concrete plans at the moment, but it could be a possibility next year.'
  For those who can't wait, Jaymic Ltd in Norfolk (0263 511710) already
provide recconditioned 2002 shells, including painting, for 4,500-5,000
(British pounds)."

I don't know about you, but this sounds like a good Christmas present.
There is also a great picture of the 2002 production line from 1972.  If
you get a chance to flip through the magazine it is on page 26.

Regards,
Ware
'72 2002tii (which would love to have better access to original parts)