[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

323i engine in 320i

>new "freeze plugs" (what are these?)

they are small (~1 inch diameter) plugs that are distributed around the
engine block and pressed into holes that are part of its casting.  If the
coolant/water mixture in the block were to freeze (in this case it would
likely be mainly water in the block or _very_ cold), the plugs are supposed
to be pushed out by the expanding liquid.  You can then replace the plugs
(not always easy to get too, like the one on the 2002 block closest to the
fire wall and covered by the transmission bell housing) instead of having
the block crack.  I don't know how reliable they are--it's probably easier
to keep the coolant mixture correct.  (nice long winded answer to a simple
question)

>I am assuming that the engine is an inline-6, right?

Yes.

Sorry not to answer your main question, I've never done the switch.  Should
be a nice improvement if you can do it without too much cost/inconvenience.

Good luck,
Ware
'72 2002tii  (I've seen pictures of one with a 323i engine)