[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

320->323 motor conversion

> 		 The engine is for
> sale in the December Roundel as follows:  1982 323i engine, fresh head (less
> than 3000mi) upgraded cam, new "freeze plugs" (what are these?), and timing
> belt.  includes fuel injection fuel distributor, starter, wiring harness and
> brain.  All that for $950...I ask whether or not it is going to be a nightmare
> to try and drop this into my 320i.  I am assuming that the engine is an
> inline-6, right?
> 					-------Brann-Man--------
	Freeze plugs are those stamped, round plugs in your block about 1.5"
around.  They're leftover holes from the casting process, machined out and
fit with a plug.  The name comes from the idea that when your block gets
really cold, these plugs pop out instead of cracking the block.
	Yep, that's a six-cylinder motor.  The pricing isn't bad either for
a fresh head.  What is the "upgraded cam"?  A stock cam is pretty damned nice
in the 323i.
	You must change the following things:
	-tranny: the input shaft is slightly different...
	-driveshaft: if you get the tranny, try to get one, or you might
have to shorten and balance...
	-exhaust: the 320i pipe is PUNY anyway, and the 323 has duals.
New mufflers are about $90 each, $125 for a Ansa stock-type resonator through
Noble or other Ansa or Bosal suppliers.   You could have a muffler shop make
up a high-flow muffler for you, maybe a 2.5" Dynomax
and put that at the left rear.
	-radiator is different: about $250 from Hanerhaus when we got one.
	-make sure the complete injection is there, including the lines for
the injection, exhaust manifolds, and down pipes, if you can get them.

	This one is L-Jet, unlike my dad's '78 which has K-Jet, so it likely
gets better gas mileage...
	My father's old (now MY) 323i has a 325e longblock with stock K-Jet
and ignition, the OD 5-speed to replace the original 4-speed, and a short
3.90:1 rear from ... a '81 320i.  So you might consider a 3.64 rear from
an earlier 320i so you're slightly taller.  The 'e motor is shorter on revs
anyway but it really wants a 3.45:1 rear (like the stock 323 had).  Well,
I'm rambling now, so e-mail me directly for other details, Brann-Man.

					thi v.