[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Fender lip

>Doug,
>
>I also have basket-weave MSW's with the wrong offset.  I wonder if at some
>point
>the Tire Rack screwed up and sent a few batches that were incorrect for E28's.
>How did you do your fender lip?  The local body shop won't roll or grind mine
>because they don't want to be responsible for messing it up.

I bought a die grinder, a compressed air driven tool, marked the fender lip
that had rubbing marks, and removed metal. I used RTV to cover up the bare
metal edge. The tires don't rub in turns-body lean moves the fender away
from the tire- its uniform compression like hitting an uphill from the flat
that compresses the suspension evenly all the way 'round that does it.
white shoe polish on the tire tells me how far down the fender rubs.

>As another alternative, there is a wheel shop in California that can modify
>wheel offset.  I'm on the east coast so I'm trying to find a similar shop
>around
>here.  The one in Ca. advertises in the Roundel.

I thought about that, but countersinking for the  bolt lands doesn't leave
much metal.

>My wheels are getting fairly beat-up but these are now unavailable.  I like
>them
>on my car though and I haven't seen anything else better.  If you ever trade up
>to something else _please_ let me know and I'll take your MSW's if they are
>in better shape than mine.  (if we're talking about the same wheel it's a
>Type 911A)

Very interesting offer, I'll check the model number. sure you wouldn't
rather have the TRXs? how about my dust shields? those you can have for the
cost of shipping.

regards,

doug dykaar
AT&T Bell Laboratories