[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: E36 (and E30) shifter problems

From:	CSC32::BINGHAM "Tech of the Woeful Countenance  05-Dec-1994 0927"  5-DEC-1994 09:38:03.51
To:	US3RMC::"bmw-digest@domain.elided"
CC:	BINGHAM
Subj:	RE: E36 (and E30) shifter problems

> This 1st gear engagement problem is starting to sound like it belongs in the
> "They all do that.." category.
>
> Can any gearbox-gurus supply a theory or explanation on why this might occur?
> Bad synchros, perhaps?  I'll also quiz my dealer next time I'm in...

        Even though I am no guru, I believe that the first reply had the
answer.  It feels like the clutch is not completely disengaging.  My new E30
does it as well.  It happens at a dead stop, especially when cold, in trying to
select first gear.  It is a rubbery feeling -- the synchronizer is attempting
to stop the input shaft (since the output shaft is stopped) but the engine is
still trying to turn it.  The clutch has a hydraulic linkage and has no
adjustment, as per the manual, so bleeding it is probably the only remedy.

	In the interim I can offer two workarounds:

        1.  When you're coming up to a stop, attempt to select first gear just
before the car stops, when you''re going 3 mph or so.  When the speeds align
themselves, it will drop into gear.

        2.  If you *do* get to a dead stop (or when you first start the car's
engine), select fourth or fifth gear first (which will stop the gears from
spinning), then quickly go into first.

        Hope that this helps,
	_Scott ('90 325i 4d)