[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

BMW specials part 2

Hello all,
This is part two of the promised compilation of BMW specials. Most
of the info sourced from AZ of Sports Cars Since 1945.
I must have to take another look to the BMW Magazines which can be
found at my friend so it will take time 'til I will send a part
three.
Thanks for the info which arrived in the past days!
At this point we don't care about the tuners such as AcSchnitzer.
If we finished with the past we will browse through the present.
We're lookin' for more details about the cars, survivors, people
involved with the projects, articles and books about special BMWs.
Thanks in advance,
Paul Negyesi
Paul@domain.elided

AFM: Alex von Falkenhausen set up a tuning and racing shop in
Munich after the 2nd World War. He made some BMW based special
racers and a luxury coupe but all these projects failed to he
returned to BMW.

Autenrieth: This coachbuilder dreamed some of his creation onto BMW
donor (e.g. BMW 503 coupe).

Baur: Karl Baur founded his coachbuilding company in Stuttgart,
back in 1910. Between 1936 and 1941 he built some fine cabriolets
on the base of the BMW 320 and 326. After the war his sons took
over the management. Baur still specializing on custom-BMW cabrios.

Bristol: The first cars of theis well-known British specialty car
maker was rebadged and slightly rebuild BMWs.

Citeria: This Dutch project of 1958 was a small car, powered by a
600cc BMW engine. Did not make production.

EMW: An Eastern Germanian attempt to recreate the BMW 327 and such
in the old factory of BMW. They were ugly.

De La Chapelle: French maker of Bugatti Typ 55 replicas with BMW
powertrain.

Elva: the latest attempt to make an Elva was the GT160, but they
failed and only 3 were made. It was powered by a 2-litre BMW
engine.

ESW: A German neoclassic with BMW 2.5 and 3.5 engines.

Frazer Nash: theyimported BMWs and then they built specials on
(among others) BMW base. AFN (Archie Frazer Nash Ltd.) was the
spirit behind the first Bristol.

Glas: Their Goggomobil was one of the biggest selling microcars in
Germany but their sportscars 'caused the collapse. BMW took over
the factory and there were some Glas-badged BMWs.

Hispano-Alemania: This Spanish company made copies of the BMW 328
using modern BMW parts in the '70s.

Jacobsen-Steinberg: One-off on BMW 503 base.

Kamm: The creator of the Kamm tail, Mr. Kamm was a professor at a German
University and he made some experiment with cars. The K3 was based on the
BMW 335.

Martinique: American neo-classic from the '80s. Powered by 3.2
litre BMW engine.

McLaren: Y'know the F1 :-)

Nardi: Nardi is famous for his steering wheels but Enrico Nardi was
an engine tuner and special builder in first place.
Some of his specials "contained" BMW parts.

Podvin: Licensed maker of the Sbarro 328-replica in France.

Sbarro: THe well-known Swiss designer made some beautiful 328
replicas.

Scheib: Another 328 replica.

Veritas: This German company existed after the second WW and was
fomred by ex-BMW employees. Their first racer was based on the BMW
328 and then then their was a tourer which also based on the 328.

Wiessmann: Maker of BMW hard-tops and other parts. They created some Z1-style
roadsters with BMW engines.