[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: Location of 533i OBC relay?

>From: "Matt R. Brumwell" <TENCCUA.BRUMWE01@domain.elided>
>Date: 05 Dec 1994 13:45:13 GMT
>Subject: Location of 533i OBC relay?
>
>          I have a friend with an '83 533i that has a very
>          intermittent starting problem.  Sometimes when the key is
>          turned, absolutely nothing happens.   Let the car sit a
>          while and then it will crank right up.  It happens whether
>          the car is warm or cold and regardless if it is warm or cold
>          outside.  By jumpering straight from the battery to the 12v
>          side of the main relay, the car will start.  Of course since
>          it's very intermittent it's being a real bugger to identify.
>          He suspects two things at this point.
>
>          1) The ignition switch.
>
>          2) The OBC relay (wherever the 'Code' or 'Lock' functions go
>          to).  The problem is that he can't find this relay.  Bentley
>          says ".. under the dash on the left..." The 3 relays he's
>          found are for windows, interior dimmers and something else
>          (I can't remember).  Does anyone know where this relay is so
>          it can be diagnosed?
>
>          BTW, he never uses the 'Code' or 'Lock' functions of the
>          OBC.  If anyone (DJE?) has a clue, please email directly.
>
>          matt
>
>          TENCCUA.brumwe01@domain.elided
>
>          '75 2002 w/ Fred Flintstone syndrome
>          '87 535is
>          '88 M3

Matt - as far as where the relay is - I'm (luckily) clueless on this..
but given experience with other cars - it's probably behind some panel
or in a door, or a kickplate - basically, the last place you look is
where you'll find it. If you have a mechanic friend with a well equipped
shop - ask to see his electronics parts locating book. This is a neat
book (Clymer I think) that shows the location of every electronic
relay, connector, bulb, etc.. against a skeleton drawing of the car. It
usually does it in great detail - with seperate drawings for different
circuits and parts of the car.

As far as the problem - more details please:

1. Automatic or manual?  (Auto-tranny neutral safety switch, or manual
clutch switch..)

2. Nothing happens AT ALL??  None of the warning lights come on?? I'll
have to try it out on BOHICA, but I think when code is set, the warning
lights still come on.. and the OBC blinks CODE.. CODE.. CODE.. give it
three tries and the horn goes off.  This would be a clue as to where
the problem starts..

3. Has he tried swapping out the main relay itself?? (I keep a complete
set of spare relays in the trunk, from a junkyard, with the theory that
I will NEVER need them as long as I have them with me..).

Best..

Don Eilenberger (dje@domain.elided)
  '79 R65 FrankenCycle - der Beemer
  '87 535i BOHICA      - der Bimmer