[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: E36 shifter problems

>I've noticed the same resistance going into 1st on my 93' 318iS.
>I've also been wondering about a  soft "whirling" sound when the
>clutch in engaged. It's been there since new, so I've assumed it
>a natural characeristic. Any comments?

Jeff,

This 1st gear engagement problem is starting to sound like it belongs in the
"They all do that.." category.

Can any gearbox-gurus supply a theory or explanation on why this might occur?
 Bad synchros, perhaps?  I'll also quiz my dealer next time I'm in...

The whirling sound from the gearbox (in neutral/clutch engaged) is probably
normal.  There was a thread awhile back about E30 M3's having a similar
characteristic.  The consensus seemed to be that it was normal.  My Volvo did
the same thing.

Herman
'92 318is