[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Indian Made Oil Filter Problem(s)

Garrett..

The problem I had was in the quality of the construction.

If you look at a German made BMW filter (or Slovanian, as
the current stock BMW ones are) - the sealing ring for
the cartridge type (not screw-on can type) is carefully
crimpted in place on the endplate. The one from India
is not - it's a simple piece of rubber that is pushed
into a recess in the endplate. On BOHICA - I once had the
Indian one, and one of the rubbers displaced from the grove
(perhaps from oil pressure), allowing the oil to bypass
the filter element - rendering it useless.

Luckily, I change oil frequently (when I can see it on
the dipstick - about 3-3.5k miles), so not damage was
done, but it made me decide NEVER, EVER to put a non-BMW
OEM filter in the car.. so even if they DO fix them,
they won't end up in any car I ever own.

Hope this is helpful..

Don Eilenberger (dje@domain.elided)
  '79 R65 FrankenCycle - der Beemer
  '87 535i BOHICA      - der Bimmer